Friday, October 22, 2010

If you want something done, don't ask this busy person...

What an action packed couple of weeks.

There has been so much going on that I have just not kept up with blogging.

Now back at it. No more slacking off in the blog department.

I have had a few ah-hah! moments lately and am excited to see what happens going forward.

I have too many commitments. That's it. Time to cut back. I work full time, volunteer, have the kids overnight on Fridays, am co-chair of two committees at work, am on countless sub-committees through my volunteer work, have meetings left right and centre, am taking a course in November for work, take countless hours of training for my volunteer work, blogging, and am now looking at part time work to finance a big holiday next year, and sometimes I try to have a social life...


So, I have been working on cutting things out based on satisfaction level. My satisfaction.

First to go was one of the co-chair positions, resignation handed in for December 31. It's the most frustrating thing I do each month, and it is someone else's turn to step up.The other one I enjoy and will keep it for a while longer.

Next will be some of the sub-committees and training I attend through my volunteer group.

Then I will feel sane again. And probably enjoy what I am doing a lot more.

A friend of mine once said... 'If you want something done, ask a busy person'. It's true.

Stop asking. I don't want to be busy anymore.

A few years ago I ended up being off work for six months with an 'acute stress response'. It was no fun. Really, no fun. I was dealing with the impending death of my Grandfather and a really lame job. Apparently I was not dealing with it very well. So, my Doctor saw what was happening and put his foot down.

I learned a lot. I learned that I don't have to do it all. Even if it means that something doesn't get done. I learned that exercise is good for me both physically and mentally. Really good for me. I learned that I can recognize indicators of stress in myself and stop my stress level from escalating. Knowing is half the battle.

The last few weeks I have noticed that I have been recognizing more and more of my 'indicators' more often. Not a good sign.

In light of this I will be curtailing some of my activities, while still looking for part time work. I know it's a bit counter intuitive, but the option is to keep all my activities and the part time work. That would be dangerous...

I will be getting my butt back to the gym. I am going tomorrow to pick up a class schedule and book myself some me time.

Last but not least, a visit to the Doctor, the Naturopath and the Massage Therapist. I can't stop this on my own. That was the biggest lesson I learned the first time.

First stop, Massage Therapy

So, the next few weeks will be an adventure and I am looking forward to seeing how this all works out. I have some reading to do, a massage to attend and some appointments to keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment