Sunday, September 19, 2010

Garfield

Yes, Garfield.

That is what my parents called me every time they served Lasagna. Every time. It really is my favorite meal. Ever. I mean, I have different favorites at different times, like right now if you asked me what my favorite this to eat is, I would say Pizza. But really, my forever favorite is Lasagna.

I have been craving Lasagna for a few months now. Finally, I have made a pan of it. 

Isn't it beautiful?!
Here is what I used...

4 cans of diced tomatoes
Italian Seasoning
Seasoning Salt
1 bunch of Celery
4 medium Onions
750g Cottage Cheese
2 Eggs
2 cups Parmesan Cheese
Lasagna Noodles
Mozzarella Cheese
Cheddar Cheese

How did I do it?...

Saute the Onions and Celery, add to the tomatoes in a large Crock Pot. Add Italian Seasoning and Seasoning Salt to taste. Let this cook away for a few hours. 

Mix the Cottage Cheese, Eggs, and Parmesan Cheese in a bowl, set aside. Preferably in the fridge.

Once the sauce is ready, use a ladle to collect a bit of the 'juice' (no veggies) and put this in the bottom of the Lasagna Pan. This will prevent sticking. 
Then, lay down Noodles. Dry noodles. Don't boil them first, there is no need.
Then Sauce.
Cheese!
Then Noodles.
Then the Cottage Cheese mixture.
Then Noodles.
Then Sauce.
More Cheese!

Then, bake this beautiful masterpiece in a 350degree oven for about an hour. Until it's all bubbly and gooey and smells delicious. 

Bubbly Deliciousness.
I like to let this cool for a few minutes before I dig in. Mostly so I don't melt my mouth. It also lets the cheese on top settle and get all crispy. After it has had time to rest, I give it about 10 minutes, dig in!

Bedtime snack?!
I have managed to make this 'sugar free', which means I used Brown Rice Pasta instead of the typical wheat pasta. I have included the details of any 'special' ingredients in my Sugar Free in Victoria Page. I have not found a difference in the taste or texture with changing the pasta.

Now that I have had a dish of this, I will put it in the fridge overnight. This lets the juices 'soak in' to the pasta and it will firm up. Then I will portion it out into containers and freeze some for lunches.

Tonight the pan will actually make it to the fridge. I won't pick at it until it's gone.



Fortunately this Garfield has learned a little bit of restraint over the last few years.

Just a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment