Monday, August 9, 2010

Adventures in House Sitting

For the last 10 days I have been house sitting for my former landlords, D. and M. They have a cat named Sylvester who has had to go from an indoor-outdoor cat, to just an indoor cat. I have been running back and forth between my house their house, about 15-20 minutes apart. It has been an adventure for sure.

Like on Friday, I had been riding my motorbike all week, but because I was picking up the kids Friday after work, I switched to my truck on Thursday night. And left my keys for the office in my bike jacket. At my house. 20 minutes away. I was going to go in early to get some extra work done, but after having to run out to my place and back to get my keys, I wasn't as early as I wanted to be.

Or on Thursday... I was getting ready to go to bed and heard the weirdest noise ever. Having lived in this house before, I knew that this was not a normal house noise. I went in search of said noise and found Sylvester doing laps in the bathtub. Laps. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen, or heard. I laughed and laughed, and he kept doing laps.

Sylvester doing laps in the bathtub.

Today I was waiting outside for S. to pick me up, we were heading out to my house to pick up some stuff that I am giving her for her wedding in 2 weeks. 2 WEEKS!!! Anyways, I was outside checking out the front yard and just making sure that the gardens got enough rain yesterday, then sitting on the steps waiting. As S. pulled up the neighbours from across the street came over to find out what I was up to! I guess D. and M. forgot to tell them that I was staying here. They were coming over to make sure that I was not breaking in, or up to other general badness. It was kinda funny. And good. It's good to have neighbours that care enough to check when they see something they are not expecting.

Fortunately there has not been much other excitement the last 10 days while I have been taking care of Sylvester. I have enjoyed my time back in the city. It has re-enforced my love for living where I live now.

The rest of Sunday was be spent tidying up at D. and M.'s and then heading back out to my house and unpacking and playing in my gardens. Heaven.Who would have ever thought that I would think that playing in my gardens would be heaven? After spending my life in the city and turning my nose up at dirt and bugs and all things garden related. I guess you have to try things and be willing to be surprised by what you learn about yourself. I have learned that I love waking up to cows mooing, deer eating my plants and playing in the dirt.

There is nothing cuter than a baby cow! This little one was born on July 25.

Summer Phlox and my front yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment