Saturday, August 7, 2010

Baking with Cashews and Munchkins

Welcome to my first Blog Post!


Today is a rainy Saturday. Rain. Saturday. I would be not impressed, but it hasn't rained since July 1 and we need it. Badly. And now I don't have to water the gardens today.

So instead of having a day in the yard, or out and about with the kids, I am stuck in the house listening to the rain on the roof. And a million 'Why?' questions. Like... 'Why shouldn't I pull the cat's legs in different directions?' Actually, my answer to that one was... 'Really?!... Keep doing it, you will find out soon enough.' It was the cat that bites...

Anyways, to pass the time and allow everyone to survive the day, I decided that I would put the Strawberries I found in the Deep-Freeze to good use. Yes, frozen strawberries in August. I know, I am going to Hell for using frozen strawberries in the summer. I didn't plant any this year. I know. Hell.

So the kids and I made Strawberry Crisp. I had to be selective in the recipe I chose as I have no milk, and limited margarine supplies, as well as needing many other staple items. There is only marg because it was left over from when Mom and Dad were here, otherwise we would be totally out of luck! I haven't been here to buy groceries and I certainly had not planned for an indoor day of baking.

E. and O. helping stir the 'Crisp'.
 I chose this recipe...


Ingredients:
1 c Uncooked oatmeal
1 c All purpose flour
1 c brown sugar
1/4 c Chopped walnuts
1/2 c butter or margarine
1/2 c sugar
3 c Sliced fresh or frozen Strawberry

Mix together oatmeal, flour and brown sugar. Add nuts. Cut in butter or margarine until crumbly. In another bowl, mix strawberries and white sugar together. Grease an 8" square pan. Spread half the crumb mixture on bottom. Cover with strawberries. Spread remaining crumb mixture over top. Bake at 350 deg F oven for 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or topping.

Ready to go!
I sub'd double the Cashews for the Walnuts, because...

1. I have Cashews,
2. The kids and I love Cashews, and
3. I am allergic to Walnuts.

I also used about 4 1/2 c Strawberries, 3/4 c sugar and added a bit of cinnamon to the fruit. I baked it in a deep round dish as well. I like to have more fruit than topping in my Crisps...

Now that this is baking, the kitchen is cleaned up and the dishwasher is running, we are sitting here with Scooby-Do and sniffing the yummy strawberry smell coming from the oven. Torture.

15 minutes and 43 seconds left on the timer... Waiting and sniffing...

You wouldn't believe the smell...

And... the Crisp is out of the oven and into our dishes. The only thing I have heard in the last 5 minutes is O. say 'It's sooo good.' They are both quiet, it must be good. Actually, I have tried mine too, and it is awesome! So good that we have not missed the Ice Cream or Whipping Cream that is not on top. I really need to get some groceries...

Leftovers... not for long if I have anything to do with it...

No comments:

Post a Comment