Saturday, March 12, 2011

Another Day, More Sightseeing...

(Friday March 11, 2011)

Today is Eiffel Tower Day!!

But first, I have learned that the Cimetiere du Pere-Lachaise is only 3 Metro stops from my hotel. Jim Morrison is not on my list, but hey, neither was the hospital...

I figured I could head on over and have a quick visit. He is doing alright. It's too bad that people think he wants them to pee on him though...

I would be coming back to haunt the pee-ers if I was Jim...

After our visit, I was off to the Eiffel Tower. To wait in a line. Then I got almost to the front and then they had a sign saying it was the tower with stairs only. Yah, right. Not happening.

So I got out of that line and into the other line, the one with the lift. An hour and a half later I made it inside. An hour and a half, in the cold and wind.

Check out that lineup. It's there in the background. I took this picture from the end, and the mass of people on the right, that's the other end...

Then up I went in the lift to the very tip top of the tower. Ok, not the tip top, they wouldn't let me climb the antenna. It was pretty cool.

Paris from the top of the Eiffel Tower.

Would I go again? Yep! Would I wait in line for an hour and a half? Nope. If you go, buy tickets in advance. You get to skip the line. Then it would be worth it.

Once I got out of the Tower it was time to find something to eat.

Crepe? Check.

Across the road from the Tower there are boat tours of the Sienne River. It was cold and windy and the boats are covered in glass. Sounded good to me. The tour was about an hour and it was very interesting. I would like to do it on a nice day and sit outside on the boat. And maybe drop the kid that kept screaming overboard...

This is the Musee d'Orsay, it was a train station before it became a museum.

After the Boat Tour it was time for a 'Red Car Tour'. This is a hop-on, hop-off double decker bus tour. Your ticket is good for 2 days, but as I got on the last one on Friday, my ticket is good for Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. Nice. The bus also has an audio guide for the tour that you can plug in your headphones and pick your language.

Can you tell that my feet and knees decided what I was going to do today?

After the Red Car, it was time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment