Wednesday, March 30, 2011

They change what?!

(Friday, March 25, 2011)

Today was a 'git er done' day. I am down to the last items on the list that I want to do, so I started at the top, and off I went.

First thing, Changing of the Guards. Since this is only done every other day right now, I had to plan out when I was doing this. Today was the day. When I went on my Bus Tour the other day I learned that they offered a free walking tour for the Changing of the Guard. So this morning I was at the meeting point at 10:30 and off we went. We went to The Horse Guards Parade first, then St. James Palace.

Beginning of the Changing of the Guard at St. James Palace.

Next up was Wellington Barracks then Buckingham Palace.

The crowds at Buckingham Palace, there was no way to get close...

Finally back to St. James Palace. We actually saw the change at St. James Palace, there was no one there, but there were thousands of people at Buckingham Palace so there was no way to get close, we were there for a chance to take pictures of the Palace before the change, and then saw the change around the corner. It was neat to see, and it was nice that our guide knew that we could see the change at St. James Palace. Our group were the only ones there!

He is waiting for the change. Soon buddy, soon...

We also had a chance to meet the Police officers that accompanied the Soldiers on Parade and stopped traffic for them. They were mounted Police. I stayed far enough back that the horses couldn't get me.

Look how close I am to that horse! I didn't even use the zoom on the camera!

Next item on the list, lunch. Since the Hard Rock Cafe was around the corner, I figured I would give it another shot. The first time I went I was underwhelmed. It was nothing bad, but also nothing great. A second chance is always a good idea in these situations, and I was really, really, hungry. I had the same impression again today. It seems like the White Spot to me. When it started it was great, now it's just a corporation. So, I can now say I have been to the Very First, Original, Hard Rock Cafe. And I can cross it off the list. Permanently.

After lunch I hopped on the Underground and off I went to Shakespear's Globe Theatre.

The stage at the Globe.

 Cool. Really cool. They are in rehersal right now and shows don't stary until April. I wish I could have seen a show. It's something that will go on the 'When in London' list. It's a round building that is open air, so the centre of the roof is 'missing'. Plays are performed in the day as there is no artificial light in the building. They do things as 'authentically' as they can, so no microphones, lights, very few props and sets. Very cool. It has the first thatched roof in London since the Great Fire of 1666.

By the time I was done at the Globe it was time to head back to the Hostel. It has been a long week and I need to do some laundry and get ready to move to the Hotel tomorrow.

On the way to the Hostel I saw this sign...

I like this.

Something happened last night to the hot water here, so there was no hot water last night or this morning for showers. Tonight the water was just tepid. The problem is apparently fixed and the 'Olympic sized' hot water tank has to heat up. Not in time for a shower before laundry, but I will be at the hotel tomorrow, so I can handle it.

I think that once I am settled in the Hotel, tomorrow will be a rest day.

Now I am off to fold my laundry and go for some Thai food. I found a place called Thai Metro a couple blocks away and this will be my third time there. It's really, really, good.

After dinner it will be bedtime.

Oh, and that was wishful thinking...

Once I was back from dinner and in my jammies folding laundry the fire alarm went off in the Hostel. So I slipped my flip flops on, grabbed my jacket and purse and got out of there. The three of us in my room were the only ones who left the building. Brutal. A few minutes later we were told it was safe to go back in.

So, finally, off to bed we went.

No comments:

Post a Comment